Niki Lauda admits he panicked he would kill himself when he returned to racing at Monza following his horror crash at the German Grand Prix earlier in the 1976 World Championship.
More than a million people have applied for the 700,000 tickets available to see Usain Bolt and Mo Farah in action for a final time.
The pair have said they will retire after next year’s athletics World Championships in London.
It will be the final competition for Jamaica’s nine-time Olympic champion sprinter Bolt, 30.
British Olympic and world 5,000m and 10,000m champion Farah plans to focus on marathon running after London 2017.
- ‘Flawless and untouchable’ – Tom Fordyce on Bolt
- An Olympic career over in 325 seconds – Bolt in numbers
Organisers said 1,047,000 tickets have been applied for and five of 14 sessions are oversubscribed. They include the 100m final, which would be Bolt’s swansong and which more than 200,000 want to see.
The capacity for the championships at the London Stadium in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – which is also now home to Premier League side West Ham United – will be around 50,000 per session.
Performances by British athletes at last month’s Olympic Games in Rio, where Team GB won more medals than they did at the London 2012 Games, have also boosted interest.
A British Athletics spokesperson said: “The UK public witnessed new athletics heroes emerge at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and applications for London’s championships were boosted by the public wanting to witness these athletes in action next summer.”
Bolt, an 11-time world champion, added: “It’s fantastic to see.”
The IAAF World Championships take place place from 4 to 13 August, 2017.
Midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has been included in Manchester United’s 25-man Premier League squad.
The 32-year-old World Cup winner was told by new United boss Jose Mourinho recently that he was unlikely to play for the Old Trafford club again.
The former Germany captain retired from international football earlier this week after 24 goals and 121 caps.
All 20 top-flight clubs had to submit their 25-man squads to the Premier League by 16:00 BST on Thursday.
Under-21 players – like Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial – are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.
Schweinsteiger, who signed a three-year contract in July 2015, has trained alone and with the under-23s since Mourinho took charge in the summer.
The former Bayern Munich star said he “will be ready if the team needs me” but Mourinho says Paul Pogba, Marouane Fellaini, Morgan Schneiderlin, Ander Herrera and Michael Carrick are above him in the pecking order.
“We have five players for two positions,” said the United boss, who took over from Louis van Gaal. “It’s very difficult that an opportunity will arrive.”
England and Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland could be out of action for a further two months as he will undergo an operation on his troublesome ankle next week.
Butland, 23, had surgery in March after being injured in England’s 3-2 win over Germany in Berlin.
The injury flared up again this summer and he has not played this season.
Stoke signed Derby goalkeeper Lee Grant on deadline day because of concerns over Butland’s fitness.
“I’ll be having a minor operation on Monday,” Butland said in a social media statement.
“Rather than push through and risk damaging further, I’d like to have it sorted for good and be back to the levels I was at last year.”
Having trained without trouble during pre-season, Butland suffered a training ground injury on the eve of Stoke City’s opening Premier League match against Middlesbrough.
Forty-year-old Shay Given has played in every game so far and is expected to continue for the Potters in Butland’s extended absence.